Sunday 6 October 2013

From Vietman with love


I’ve been toying with the idea of blogging for a long time. It’s no secret that I enjoy operating in virtual reality - tweeting, liking, hash tagging, re-posting, sharing and engaging with dearests and strangers alike is my shit. Have also recently developed a slight knack for writing which gives me a very welcomed sense of win. These two abilities or pleasures got married had a baby and there a blog was born!

I also never really felt like there was anything interesting enough to share but inspiration recently hit on the back of a fascinating experience.  The universe did its thing and 2 weeks ago I spent a week in Vietnam.  Since I’d never been out of the country I had absolutely no expectations. Small/ hometown living was also adding its usual dose of dull to life in general so my imagination wasn’t up to its creative self.

After what felt like weeks in transit we landed in the capital city, Hoh Chi Min. Named after their “father of the nation” and equivalent to our Mandela.  The first thing that made me realise I wasn’t anywhere close to home anymore was obvi the people (lack of brown skin bros and sisters), then the roads. Most people own and drive vuka type scooters so there’s constant roaring of engines, beeping of hooters and gunning for a gap. They drive it for the same reasons we do, because it’s economical and mostly because they zippy enough to get through any side street, market, grassy path or gravel road. Watching this chaos through our tour bus window nipped all traces of this thing called jet lag in the bud and I knew I was in for a treat.

We spent the first 2 days in this buzzing city, 3 days in Phan Thiet along the coast and 1 day in Bangkok (which deserves a post of its own) , know it sounds like a mere few days but a funny thing happens when you determined to soak up every ticking second. This is what all my peeps told me to do and exactly what I did. It’s like time flies but it doesn’t. We were on the go and busy but unlike when this happens in our daily routine, we weren’t preoccupied with thoughts of our next to-do.  

Another reason why it feels like time is there but there aint is what one of my friends says is their favourite thing about travel, your awareness of everything and being present in all 5 senses. This was part of a reply to my catch up message on day 3 where this friend also told me to not only soak it up but also hold everything I’m experiencing in my soul.

So…don’t panic, I’m not about to pour out my soul but in attempt to keep my posts short and sharp so you can come back for more *rubs hands slowly together like a scheming villain* here is some of what I saw, felt, tasted, heard, smelt and did in some words and pics:

  • Chilling – most of our chill time was while we were commuting  via every possible means of transportation; bus, plane, tram, cable car, speed boat, gondolier –like rowing boat,  motorbike driven donkey cart type, bicycle and ironically not a minute on a motorbike! Other good times chilling was around the dining table be it for brekks, lunch or supper, alongside the pool and while rowing along the river.


 
  • Tasting – so much of tasting! They eat mostly if not only local produce so there’s always lots of rice, fish, fruit and veg and use very little seasoning so the flavours are all fresh. Presentation is also everything when it comes to dining. They create images on your plate by slicing carrots into beautiful flower shapes or plating in an interesting way.  I’m not a beer drinker but mostly sipped on the local Saigon beer which tastes like our Millers draft. There was also the local brewed rice wine, which the locals sell as vodka because it looks and tastes the same.



 

  • Smelling – it’s taking me a while to think of what I smelt because of the overcrowding and humid temperatures, I hate to say, the air in general is a bit polluted and stank. Then obvi there’s the food which smelt yum until day 6 where we were all done being borderline vegetarians and wanted our chop.   There was a section at the market dedicated to selling pretty flowers that I get I didn't get close enough to smell.

 
 
 
  • Seeing – a whole new world really. How families live and work in the same houses and streets.  Fabulously dressed woman strutting their stuff on the streets. Beautiful buildings and in all their dilapidated glory. Endless fields of rice farms, lush green bushes and coconut factories. The old-fashioned way in which they made bricks. The many churches, pagoda’s and Buddhist prayer shrines in every possible nook and cranny. The biggest bhudda in Asia.
 



 
  • Listening – spent a lot of time listening to our very hospitable, which still feels like a understatement coz this guy was such a gem, tour guide Mr Bhien. Who taught us so much about Vietnam’s politics (not much diff from ours), history, economics, religion, fast facts and my favourite culture. Then of course there was the sound of the city, the absolute tranquillity of the river, chirping birds in the calm of the mountain and overhearing high and low pitches of the Vietnamese language.

And there you have it folks, the first of what will be my many experiences abroad. Also the first of many experiences and stories I’m going to be sharing with you. The web's being a bit of a pain with pic uploads so I'll load more pics related to this post as another and make sure there's always something to entice at least more than one of the senses when you get here. So Sin Ciao, Guh muun and Ciao! Vietnamese for Hello, Thank You and what I discovered is a universal Goodbye.

Love,

Lenny

No comments:

Post a Comment